What is Multi Modal Psychotherapy?
I can assist you with a wide range of psychotherapy methods, making this a flexible and customised service. I base the choice of treatment around two determining factors: what works (NICE recommendations & Research Evidence) plus what works personally for YOU! I adhere to National Occupational Standards for psychotherapy and complementary health therapies used
I trained initially 1993-6 in Multi Modal programme of Psychoanalysis, Hypnotherapy and Counselling with psycho-education at level 5 on the new educational scale (graduate level, externally accredited). I then completed post graduate (above level 5) further accreditation with a leading professional body (NACHP) in psychoanalysis, humanistic psychotherapy, cognitive behavioural therapies, and hypnosis based therapy (including mindfulness). I am thus accredited in multiple modals of psychotherapy, able to integrate them, or use them separately.
Types of psychotherapy available at my clinic in Edinburgh:
1. Psychoanalysis or psychodynamic psychotherapy . There are a number of types of psychoanalysis, including but not restricted to Hypnoanalysis, psychodynamic, cognitive behavioural, philosophical, systems (such as SSADM), linguistic, mindfulness based. These are just the ones I use at my clinic in Edinburgh!
2. Humanistic psychotherapy, mindfulness and counselling . There are Eastern and Western versions of humanistic therapy and there is huge overlap between these. Mindfulness is a very important eastern method, and that combines with philosophical counselling, person centred counselling, and non judgemental counselling from various styles such as Gestalt. These are all available at the clinic in Edinburgh.
3. Cognitive Behavioural Therapies. CBT as it is often known is a method using the cognitive behavioural model of psychology and has it's roots in experimentation to discover the processes of the mind. There are many styles since CBT has come into existence in three "waves" of development. In the latest "third wave" there are mindfulness and psycho-education base methods such as DBT (Dialectic Behavioural Therapy), MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy), MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction) and various compassion and acceptance based models. There are also Analytic methods such as Cognitive Behavioral Analysis and CBASP (Cognitive Behavioural Analysis System of Psychotherapy). CBT takes up a high proportion of my Edinburgh work and is very useful for addressing surface presentation such as symptoms of depression and anxiety..
4. Hypnotherapy based psychotherapy . Hypnosis is used by some practitioners as a stand alone method, but multi modal psychotherapists with professional hypnosis training use methods like Hypnoanalysis and Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy as powerful combinations of Psychotherapy and Hypnotherapy. Hypnoanalysis in particular is vital in my Edinburgh Clinic work. I am a Certified Specialist in the use of Hypnosis in Trauma, a method that is more complex, comprehensive and skilled than EMDR. (EMDR was created as a cut down simple model for counsellors with no hypnosis training to use).
5. Life coaching, Naturopathy and psycho-education . Life coaching and psycho-education training fit into a range of therapies including DBT, and assist in condition management, well being management and lifestyle management. We do not live mentally in a vacuum, our psychological selves are effected by factors including physical health, diet, environment, relationships and sleep patterns. I offer clinical and business coaching at the Edinburgh Clinic. I am a qualified Naturopath and Chi Gung instructor.
Having a Multi modal psychotherapist as your personal counsellor or therapist in Edinburgh enables you to explore not only how to cope better with, or treat certain psychological conditions, but it also enables you to redefine what you want from your life going forward. Hypnoanalysis, psychotherapy, psychoanalysis, life coaching and counselling all exist to help you move forward in life.
A full range of psychotherapy, psychoanalysis and analytical hypnotherapy processes are available in my Edinburgh and Falkirk clinics.