Professionally Qualified Psychoanalyst Psychotherapist Hypnotherapist Counsellor and Mindfulness Practitioner
Like many professional therapists I have myself faced adversity and trauma. This, and caring for a relative with dementia who was a war veteran, began my interest in psychology. I studied hypnosis, mindfulness and eastern psychologies initially for personal use, and then after completing my first degree in science based topics, I retrained as a therapist specialising in psychoanalysis, clinical hypnosis (cognitive behavioural style) and humanistic style counselling. Keen to add to my skills I cross trained working in related fields such as youth work and mental health care and completed an additional post graduate accreditation process, adding to my multi modal skill sets.
I have a long term dedication to ongoing training and development, and I believe that therapists should not just be "friendly" and "accepting" of difference, they should be "knowledgeable". I therefore do ongoing training in psychotherapy work with LGB*, BDSM, Kink clients and am part of the Pink Therapy network. I also do ongoing training in faith and philosophy topics and I often work with clients who want to bring their personal beliefs into the therapy process. I complete much of my CPD in Trauma, attachment and Complex PTSD topics. I have actively worked with clients from backgrounds including Pagan, Kabbalah, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Catholic, Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu, Multi-faith, Wiccan. I am personally a half Jewish Taoist and am ordained as both a multi faith and a humanistic minister. I of course never bring faith into sessions unless requested by the client.
I believe in up-skilling my clients with knowledge in regard to not just their own self awareness through analysis, but also on conditions, reactions and mental health and well being management through psycho-education. I have an NVQ Level 4 in Training and Development in this context, and am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health. I base my work around evidence based and NICE recommended core therapies to ensure a safe and effective core to the process, but listen to the client / couple/ group and adapt where clinically appropriate to use methods from my range of accreditations and trainings.
At my Edinburgh and Falkirk Clinics I believe that clients should have effective psycho-education based condition management of surface conditions, like anxiety and depression, while deeper psychoanalysis, hypnoanalysis and other analytic methods are applied to address root developmental psychology causes.
Vocational (Practical) Awards:
- Level 5 (Graduate) Diploma in Psychoanalysis Hypnotherapy, Psychotherapy, Counselling (ASM 1993-6 externally accredited via NVQ)
- Post Graduate Accreditation in Psychoanalysis, Hypnotherapy, Humanistic Psychotherapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (NACHP)
- Post Qualification Competency Training in CBASP Cognitive Behavioural Analysis (Dundee Uni Medical School)
- NVQ Level IV Training & Development, context of Stress / Complementary Health Education (Level 5 equivalent on new UK scale)
- CPD competency awards, certificates & Diplomas include: Integrated Counselling, Life Coaching, NLP, CBT, MBCT, Mindfulness, Gestalt, Psychotherapy, Mental Health, Chi Gung, Sidereus Hypnosis, Hygge, Taoism, Buddhism, Relational EMDR, DBT, Nutrition.
- Diplomas in Seated Massage / Acupressure, Chi Gung and 5th Dan Black Belt Karate & MMA
- Certified Advanced Nutritional and Integrative Medicine for Mental Health Professionals
- Certified Clinical Trauma Practitioner (CCTP) award validated by the International Association of Trauma Practitioners
- Certified in Complex Trauma and Disassociative Disorders (CCTP II)
- Certified in Complex Trauma (CCTS-I), Trauma Institute
- Certified Clinical Anxiety Practitioner (CCATP)
- Certified Depression and Mood Disorder Treatment Professional (CDMDTP)
- Certified in specialist trauma treatment using Hypnosis, Neurology & Body/Mind therapy
- Certified in Grief Counselling (CGCS) & Advanced Grief Counselling (CAGCS)
- Certified in Specialist Clinical application of Mindfulness
- Competency certified in ACT Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Certified: Anger Management Treatment Professional (CAMTP)
- As well as clinical certifications I am also trained in more holistic methods of Integrative work, Shamanic and Visualisation based work and other methods that have a clinical basis, but are gentle, holistic and nice to use.
- Certificate of Education (interpersonal Skills) University of Lampeter
- Certificate of Education (Psychology, Philosophy and Theology topics) University of Edinburgh
- BSc(Hons) I.I.T. (Specialising in Human Resources, analysis and modelling) City of Birmingham University
- BA (Hons) Open (Specialising in Psychology & Philosophy) Open University
- BA (Hons) Philosophy and Psychology, Open University
- MSc Psychology (Specialising in Identity, Brain and Behaviour and comparative models of psychology) Open University
- Post Graduate Diploma (verified level 7) in Complex Trauma
Professional Registrations and Accreditations
( Professional Standards Authority Accredited Registers or PSA AR's are for healthcare practitioners not subject to Statutory Regulation. They are voluntary but provide a base standard of regulated competence, or "right touch regulation". Professional bodies may be a verification organisation for a PSA AR, or hold an AR themselves, or not be part of the system. PSA AR's are an accredited register or list, and do not accredit individuals. it is the register that meets the regulated standards.)
- National Association of Counsellors Hypnotherapists & Psychotherapists
(Verification route for a PSA AR)
NACHP Accredited Psychotherapist & Fellow, including counselling, CBT, hypnotherapy and Psychoanalysis
- Complementary Therapists Association
Accredited Practitioner: wide range of complementary and psychological mind-body therapies.
- Society of Holistic Therapists and Coaches / Register of Independent General Holistic Therapists
Director and Accredited Fellow: Holistic Therapy, psychoanalysis, Life coaching, Chi Gung, Martial Arts Based therapy, Mindfulness
SHTC Accredited clinical supervisor.
- Royal Society for Public Health
Fellow, Professional recognised as having met practice standards and Fellowship standards in Public Health Education
- International Association of Trauma Professionals
Certified Clinical Trauma Practitioner
Registrations refer to being listed on an accredited register as a practitioner, but not being accredited by that organisation. Accreditation to be registered therefore comes from elsewhere - see above.
Honours and other roles:
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health
- Fellow of the Royal Scottish Society of Arts
- Fellow of the Society of Holistic Therapists and Coaches
- Advisory Board Member of the Sherwood Foundation Register
- Scottish Representative & Fellow of the National Association of Counsellors Hypnotherapists & Psychotherapists
- Former Risk Assessment Officer: National Council of Psychotherapists
- Former Board member, ethics officer and deputy chair of the UKAHPP
- Former Local Champion representative of the CNHC
- Former local coordinator for the FHT
- Former Local and Regional Coordinator for the CTHA
- Former Advisory Board member & Fellow for the Counselling and Psychotherapy Society & Hypnotherapy Society
- Former Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- Former Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Former Fellow of the Institute of Health Promotion and Education
- Former complaints support volunteer for the Psychotherapy & Counselling Union
- Formerly a regular Journal contributor for the Self & Society Humanistic Journal including a regular political "diary". Multiple published clinical reviews and case studies online in various journals.
Areas of Specialism
- Long term Psychoanalysis and Hypnoanalysis support for personal development
- Stress and Anxiety management
- Anger, impulse and aggression management
- Comprehensive Eastern Psychology psychotherapy using mindfulness, Naikan, Morita, Satori, Acceptance, Compassion & Mindful Analysis
- LGB*, BDSM, Kink, Poly.
- Neuro-divergent clients with issues such as high functioning Autism, Aspergers, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, ADHD
- Short and Long term depression and anxiety including Bipolar
- Personality disorders including Borderline Personality Disorder
- PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and other forms of complex trauma. Certified Clinical Trauma Practitioner (CCTP)
- Disassociative disorders including NEAD, DID
- Psychosomatic illness including pain conditions, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and certain skin conditions (must be medically supervised)
- Performance anxiety and Public Speaking
- Sports Hypnosis and NLP for performance
- Couples Counselling
- Working with ex Armed Forces and current serving personnel for PTSD, decompression and relationship dynamics
- Therapist training and Clinical Supervision
Specialised support for long term depression, complex trauma and anxiety issues in Edinburgh and Falkirk, Scotland, from an accredited psychotherapist, hypnotherapist, analyst and Certified Clinical Trauma Practitioner. Complex Trauma in Edinburgh.